Read Psalm 27 and Hebrews 4:12.
How has God blessed you through trials? As my students responded to this question with stories of their families abandoning them because of their faith in Jesus, they rejoiced knowing they were adopted into the body of Christ. With no blood relatives willing to claim them, these believers cling to their church family and the Truth found in Psalm 27.
- The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid? ... gives them strength for the journey ahead as they trade Islamic beliefs to follow Jesus.
- Though my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me ... reminds them of their Heavenly Father when their earthly one disowns them.
- Teach me your way, Lord; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors ... gives them courage when they’re smuggled across borders to survive.
- I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living ... encourages them when family members disappear because they chose to follow Jesus.
- Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord ... gives them hope when they’re strangers in a foreign land and withheld basic rights because of their faith.
The students’ use of Scripture reminds me that God’s Word truly is living and active ... inspiring believers as they journey heavenward no matter the consequences.
Lord, give us faith like these students who are willing to give up everything to follow You. Awaken Your Word in our lives to strengthen us as we walk in Your will. Amen.
-written by a missionary to Central Asia
East-West's missionaries and national partners are stationed in nearly 50 countries around the world that are categorized as unreached or restricted access. For security reasons, we do not disclose their identities.